Natural headache relief
Some people feel more comfortable seeking natural headache relief, in the form of plant-based or mineral supplements. Some of the most widely used preparations include:
- Butterbur, an herb derived from plants in the genus Petasites
- Feverfew, A daisy-like flower native to Europe
- Peppermint oil, a culinary herb
- Magnesium, a mineral
- Coenzyme Q10 , an enzyme found in mitochondria, the energy factories of our cells
- Vitamin B12
Consult your doctor before taking any of these supplements, as they can interact with medications to treat headaches or other conditions. The FDA does not regulate the effectiveness or safety of these products.
Other natural headache relief
If your own natural headache remedies aren’t effective, consider alternatives, such as:
- Acupuncture: According to traditional Chinese beliefs, acupuncture works by affecting the flow of energy through pathways that run through the body.
- Psychotherapy: This can help you manage the effects that headaches have on your life, as well as the stresses and anxieties that may aggravate your pain.
- Physical therapy: This can provide relief for tension headaches and migraines by relaxing the tense muscles that commonly accompany tension and migraine headaches.